Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Joined at the Karmic Hip

One of the coolest things about family practice is the opportunity to take care of people for a long time, through various stages of their lives. Birth, death; marriage, divorce; friendship, estrangement, and often back again. It can be a wild ride, this thing we call Life(tm).

There's a patient I met over fifteen years ago. Ten years ago she got married, and her husband started coming to me as well. After about five years they divorced, and both of them have continued to come see me.

Here's something royally freaky: even now, years after their divorce (amicable, but it's not like they're in regular contact with each other) whenever one of them calls the office, the other one inevitably calls too. Often the same day; sometimes within the hour.

The calls are always appropriate; each has individual (albeit quite different) issues. It is entirely possible that we disproportionately remember the times they both call while forgetting many other occasions when one calls but not the other. Certainly this is the kind of thing that can be put down to coincidence, a phenomenon that occurs with far more regularity than is intuitively obvious to the oddly wired human brain.

But I don't think so.

It's like they're still joined somehow; through me.

Freaky.

4 Comments:

At Wed Mar 03, 11:56:00 AM, Blogger rlbates said...

I've had patients who get their ex to take care of them after surgery. I, always, find that interesting. It's almost as if they could have remained married if they lived in different homes and just visited/cared for one another.

 
At Wed Mar 03, 05:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This may sound corny, but maybe, just maybe, they continue to love each other.

 
At Wed Mar 03, 10:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weird.

 
At Thu Mar 04, 07:30:00 PM, Blogger ccinnkeeper said...

I wonder if my doc will have the same experience with me and my ex. Now that would be REALLY freaky and could change the whole hypothesis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home