Musings of a Dinosaur

A Family Doctor in solo private practice; I may be going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm not dead yet.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Stupid; it Paralyzes

I have a delightful patient in her 70s who contracted polio at the age of three. It left her with a somewhat weakened left leg and a lifelong pronounced limp, for which she very appropriately received a handicapped parking placard.

She complained that she had begun getting parking tickets of late. Apparently, there was some doubt about the legitimacy of her need for special parking accommodation. The process of getting the tickets dismissed included a telephone conversation with a person claiming to be a nurse.

"So why do you need a handicapped parking placard?" asked the "nurse".

"I had polio as a child," replied my patient.

"Ah," came the response (over the phone, remember), dripping with sarcasm. "But how do I know you still have polio?"

3 Comments:

At Tue Mar 23, 09:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When even (persons claiming to be) nurses no longer understand what polio is, the inroads made among parents by the antivaccine movement seem a little less surprising.

 
At Wed Mar 24, 04:46:00 AM, Blogger Rogue Medic said...

Some possible responses to the alleged nurse -

But how do I know you are a nurse?

or

Your ignorance would be safe with me. My blogger dinosaur doctor, on the other hand, has a thing for exposing stupidity.

or

Because Jenny McCarthy isn't able to cure polio with a fad diet.

or

Look it up. P. O. L. I. O. myelitis.

or

Don't worry. I wouldn't make the mistake of suggesting that you know anything.

 
At Wed Mar 24, 10:10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's worse is these people breed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home